Sunday, September 16, 2012

Gibson Girl Fashion: One

    Greetings! I would like to introduce you to  another series which focuses on fashion from the late 1800s and early 1900s. So, like in this post,  I will be quoting from fashion/beauty books and magazines from that time period.
  
       What do you wear at home?
 
If I quote Ella Adelia Fletcher it
 will most likely be a quote from this book.
           "It is a grave mistake to think that "any old thing" will do for the privacy of the home circle. The wearing of shabby defaced finery is a shiftless habit which demoralizes both the wearer and her associates. Home gowns should be exquisitely neat and dainty as any in the wardrobe, and a delicate sense of the fitness of things should suit them in fabric and cut to their use. The gentlewoman will look a queen in a neat cotton gown, when she who thinks her worn out silks serve the purpose as well looks a shabby frump."  
                                        - Ella Adelia Fletcher 1901
 
     I thought I would start the fashion series with the remedy to my greatest fashion failing. Ella puts its so clearly that her words cut right to my heart when I think of all the crazy ensembles I come up with on the days I stay at home. Now I obviously am not relaxing in my "worn out silks" but my house work outfits can be pretty outrages. I pull out random pieces and just layer  them until I'm comfortable. Like last night- I was wearing shorts underneath my favorite old sweatpants, with a worn out sundress as a top, over that a hoodie, and a sweatshirt as the final layer.  Of course I would prefer to get rid of these worn out layers, trading them for one or two clean cut, well made, and comfortable pieces for home wear. So my next thrifting mission is to find attractive yet very simple clothing for those days when I haven't any where to go.
   How about you? Do you always make sure you look neat even if you aren't seeing any one that day or do you take the opportunity to wear comfy and possibly frumpy outfits? Please leave a comment telling me your preference. I remain

                                                       Faithfully yours,
                                 

2 comments:

  1. I've been growing slovenly in the last couple years (partly due to the place where I live -- formality is not valued in Santa Fe, NM.) I used to dress as nicely around the house as if I were going out, do my makeup etc. Now I look a lot more plain, most days. I do think the admonishment that it's a slippery slope may be true -- I've been noticing my outdoor clothes getting more hobo-like lately, as well :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand. Environment affects wardrobe choices. I live in a place where the dress code is extremely casual. Thats not terrible but it certainly makes for a lack of neatness,elegance, and aesthetic pleasure.So I suppose that is why we should make a special effort to dress like it really matters even when we are just spending time at home.

    Thank you so much for visiting! I love reading your blog and I hope you will enjoy reading mine.

    ReplyDelete