Saturday, September 22, 2012

With all my love,


        At the turn of the 20th century social correspondence was conducted mainly through handwritten letters. Almost every one wrote social letters - even younger brothers. Though he spoke of a different century George Saintsbury described the past correctly when he said "Everybody wrote letters, and a surprising number of people wrote letters well".

These days a handwritten letter from a friend or relative is something to be treasured simply because of its' scarcity.   
If you have ever read a very old letter, maybe written by a famous author or your great grandmother, you have probably noticed that this way of communication is not at all similiar to the system used today.
 
Today I have some guidelines for letter writing that I found in a book from 1922.
  •                                                                         
  •   Always include "yours' in the complimentary closing:  yours sincerely, yours cordially, or lovingly yours.                                                                                                                       
  • In the United States the salutation "My dear_" is considered  more formal than the simple "Dear_".
  • Don't attempt to put anything down on paper before thinking out and arranging what you want to say.
  • Never use ruled paper for any correspondence
 
 
 
Sometimes I like to send a poem or a quote from  a book I've been reading.
 
     
 
 

    I still write letters to many people and I hope you do also. I hope you still write your grandmother every week, like you did when you were younger, and maybe even supplement your phone calls to mom with a pretty handwritten note she will love to find in her mailbox.

Written in 1922 this book is full of
 instructions for improving your
letters .





 Until next time I remain



                                yours sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment